Friday, October 14, 2011

The End of Summer

I know...I am on a roll!! Don't mention it or I may stop! So, we get back from vacation only to jump right back into the swing of things with school. Right before school started, we celebrated Lemon's 4th birthday. Well...her 4th birthday on paper. Her "true" birthday is 9/18 but we celebrate on her paper one...makes it a bit easier. She doesn't know this yet, when she is older we'll discuss!


Celebrating with her family out for dinner!


Lemon's party wouldn't be for a couple of weeks. We were having a combo party with her bestie again!

That week, we made some changes around here regarding sleeping arrangements as well. The girls have their own rooms but for months have slept together. I learned later in the summer that Orange was waking Lemon up very early every day. I warned her that it needed to stop or I would separate them again. See...my little Lemon needs tons of sleep. I started to think that some of her behavior might really have to do with this. Needless to say, Orange did not heed my warning and they were separated. I got a clock for Lemon that glows green when she can get out of bed. The first night she actually got up every 2 hours to tell me her clock was not yet green. I thought I was going to punch her! By night 3 she had it down pat! I have to lay with her for a bit before bed now but she is doing great. Two big pluses to our doing this. First, Orange can now go to bed later and we have some alone time...we read together and just hang out. Second, Lemon gets more sleep...and I think better sleep. Her moods have improved quite a bit.

During that week, Orange started in 1st grade. She was so excited. Did tell me on the first day that she is not excited about homework. I explained that she best get excited as she has A LOT of school left in her lifetime.  We love her teacher this year just like we loved her teacher last year. The best part for me is that this teacher taught her bestie for 2 years. She fully gets the older adoption aspect of things. This is so refreshing. We don't have any worries!!
Lemon started in pre-K. We have a new teacher this year (thank freaking g-d). To say that last year was a bit awful is an understatement. It was horrendous. The teacher this year impressed me in the first 10 seconds of meeting her. I think she actually likes children...what a concept!!! Lemon was excited too. She couldn't wait for her buddy Z. to be in her class. She also couldn't wait to be the big girl this year.
Here are the girls the first day of this year....
An update on this year thus far...
Orange is doing well. She is an angel at school, always participates and wants to learn. The teacher adores her. She is struggling some with reading...mainly the vocabulary part of reading. It still amazes me how many words she still doesn't know. It is easy to forget since she is fluent in speaking. But...so much of reading is understanding the words. We are working on this. The great thing is that she loves to learn and I know she'll do just fine. Her teacher has no concerns as she watched Orange's BFF go through this as well and understands that it just takes time. Oh and homework is going fine:)! Orange has been the golden start at school twice now. This means that she is excelling in Hebrew class. This girl can learn languages I tell you!


My Golden Star

Lemon is doing great too. Her teacher is amazing. I am so much less stressed out going to school in the mornings this year. The teacher is kind, nurturing and loves her kiddos. Lemon is learning so much this year, and loves to go to school every day. She is a little leader in class and is just a joy to watch right now. Her little brain is a sponge this year. I think when you have a teacher that nurtures you and actually enjoys you...it makes learning a whole lot more fun!! I can't even explain the relief I feel this year. At the first Shabbat at school, they sang happy birthday to her...she cried (I think she got embarrassed). Her teacher actually got on the floor and consoled her. WOW!!! Yes, that is how awful last year was...phew is all I got!!

3 comments:

  1. 3 posts in 1 week... must be a record for you!!! (happy birthday!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putting me to shame!! I have been such a poor blogger this fall....but thank you for giving me something to read on a cold rainy night.
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like they're doing great! So glad the school year is off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete